The first thing to do if you want to be successful in your career is to do what’s asked of you. Meet expectations. Hit the target. That alone will make you stand out.
But there’s a higher goal than just doing your “one job.” Instead of just meeting expectations, you can make it your goal to exceed them. That’s where the joy is. And it’s where lasting impact can be found.
People with a good attitude take the initiative whenever they can to do more. They willingly help a colleague in need, they pick up the slack when someone is off sick, and they make sure that their work is done to the highest standards.
- They do more than they know is necessary.
- They do more than they know is fair.
- They do more because it’s the right thing to do.
- They do more not expecting anything in return.
- They do more even when they know it still may not save the day.
- They do more even when they know it may not save the customer.
- They do more because they can.
- They do more because they see the big picture.
- They do more because if not them, who?