In-house Data Protection Officer (Senior Legal Counsel) – London / home working
JOB TITLE: Data Protection Officer (Senior Legal Counsel)
PQE REQUIRED: 5+
LOCATION: London / home working
SALARY: up to £53,000 depending on experience PLUS £3,366 (London Weighting Allowance)
THE ROLE: The Data Protection Officer's role will include, but not be limited to the following tasks:
- Develop and implement policies in relation to Data Protection, Privacy and Information Governance and ensure they are reviewed regularly and updating according to the activities of the organisation;
- Coordinate the work of the Information Governance Steering Group. Provide comprehensive reports to the Steering Group on compliance with internal policies and procedures and external laws and regulations and report the Data Protection, Privacy and Information Governance assurance reports for Executive Board and the Audit and Risk Committee;
- Develop and maintain the Privacy Impact Assessment policy and procedures;
- Ensure that systematic compliance audits are undertaken and that their findings are reported and acted upon;
- Assist with investigations into complaints about breaches of the GDPR and other data protection laws, and in particular the notification of personal data breaches to the ICO as required by Article 33 and ICO guidance. Undertake reporting of breaches and, where necessary, advise on remedial action. Maintain a log of incidents and remedial recommendations and actions, and report all such incidents to the Information Governance Steering Group and the Audit & Risk Committee of the Board of Trustees;
- Ensure that developments in data protection and privacy law and practice are monitored, and advise on compliance with future requirements. Provide timely guidance on any legal and regulatory changes.
- Promote and maintain data protection and privacy awareness by providing training and communications. Monitor and advise on procedures and practice guidance to ensure that data protection and privacy requirements have been incorporated.
- Manage the Data Protection and Privacy team.
- A qualified barrister or solicitor with substantial post qualification experience - ideally gained in house - and expertise in national and European data protection laws and practices as well as an in depth understanding of GDPR.
- Ability to understand, interpret and explain detailed legal provisions of national and European data protection laws and practices.
- Ability to apply and provide data protection legislation activities and to provide both pragmatic and strategic advice.
- An ability to give clear verbal and written explanations in an appropriate manner to staff at all levels, members of the public and external agencies. Ability to deliver effective and relevant training to groups from all departments.
- Highly developed written communication skills to understand, interpret and present complex information in a way that is clear and appropriate for an audience. Ability to produce guidance and policy documents for staff.
- An ability to liaise at all levels both with staff and with external parties and to build good working relationships with regular contacts. Must be able to handle situations with tact and diplomacy, having regard for the sensitive and confidential nature of the personal data that may be processing.
- Substantial experience of providing data protection advice to a large organisation, and relevant professional qualification with significant experience of providing advice on data protection matters.
As part of our candidate care process we aim to respond to all applications within 7 working days. If you have not been contacted within this timescale your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. Please go to Candidate Registration to register your interest for similar positions.
eNL follow strict best practice recruitment guidelines monitored by the Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC). Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.
In addition, if you know anyone else that is interested, remember we do offer up to £500 referral fee bonus (Terms and Conditions apply).